Friday, February 4, 2011

Save the Kittehs!!

Felicity & Oliver

I’ve never met a cat I didn’t like. I’ve been a cat person all my life. I like most animals, but cats just have a soft spot in my heart. I’ve turned my husband into a cat person, too. Well, I don’t know if it was me so much as it was my childhood kitty.

Felicity was the best cat, ever. Period. She was a total sweetheart and the smartest cat you could ever meet. I’m not just saying that because I was her mommy for 16 years. I could get many people to testify to the fact. She regularly impressed my friends with her intelligence.  

Felicity got very sick, very quickly with kidney failure and we had to put her sleep on January 2 of this year. It was the most horrible way to start the New Year, but it was the best thing we could do for our baby girl.

My heart broke into a million pieces when I found out how sick she was. My husband and I curled up into little balls and cried our eyes out. Aaron hyperventilated in the bathroom after the vet called us with the grim prognosis. 

It’s been just over a month now, and I find myself spending way too much time online looking at all the kitties (and doggies) who need homes. In the last two-and-a-half years, we’ve adopted one puppy and one kitten*, and I’ve spent a lot of time on Craigslist, Petfinder and the shelter websites. I’ve never seen it this bad before.

I’ve always wanted to foster kitties, but I didn’t want to bring new cats into the home, upsetting Miss Felicity. Now, that she’s gone and we’ve had time to grieve, it’s time to take action. 

Tonight, I sent an email to a nearby cat rescue, inquiring about fostering. I hope we can help save some kitties and find them good, forever homes.


You can help, too. Check out Sacramento Animal Coalition to learn about area rescues and other local animal services. It's Felicity-approved.

*Felicity would accept babies into her home -- our Oliver pretty much thought Felicity was his momma -- but we didn’t want to push it by adopting older animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment