Saturday, February 26, 2011

Reviews: Black Swan; The Kids Are All Right

The Social Network (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)I’m behind on my movie-watching and more so on my movie-reviewing. I hope I find the time to watch both The Social Network and Winter’s Bone before the Academy Awards on Sunday, but it’s going to take some real dedication on my part to put other responsibilities aside in favor of this mini resolution…


My brief thoughts on Black Swan and The Kids Are All Right.

Black Swan
Loved it. Even though I haven’t seen all the best actress nominated films, I’m rooting for Portman to take the Oscar for her portrayal of Nina. Portman’s transformation from the sweet, innocent, sheltered white swan to the ruthless, psychotic, sexual black swan was cinematic gold. I got a kick out of Mila Kunis’ rebellious, party-girl ballerina character, but it wasn’t an award-worthy role. The mother-daughter dynamic between Nina and Erica (played brilliantly by Barbara Hershey) adds another layer to the movie. At times, it seems that overbearing Erica, a former ballerina herself, has Nina’s best interests at heart; while other times you wonder if she’s just as screwed up as her daughter. As the film builds, you start to question what is real and what isn’t, but it’s best to just let the movie take you for the ride up to the nail-biting opening night of “Swan Lake.” Black Swan is a wild ride that I plan to take again and again. A twisted, beautiful, wild ride.

The Kids Are All Right

The Kids Are All RightReally liked it. I appreciate movies that are part-comedy, part-drama because that’s how real life is. I love me some dramedy. The basic plot goes: What happens when two teenage children of lesbian parents contact their sperm-donor, disrupting the family dynamic the summer before the daughter leaves for college. The moms have been having problems and the sudden addition of donor-dad wedges them further apart. Loved Annette Bening as the more butch, control-freak, doctor mom with a drinking problem. But, she better not steal that Oscar from Portman, not that I’m worried.

The Nominees:
  • Black Swan 
  • The Fighter
  • Inception
  • The Kids Are All Right
  • The King's Speech
  • 127 Hours
  • The Social Network
  • Toy Story 3
  • True Grit
  • Winter's Bone

No comments:

Post a Comment